Master thesis: Experimental modal analysis of machine tools
Machine tool design requires detailed knowledge of the product being designed. Experimental modal analysis is a proven method to validate the results of simulated machine natural frequencies. In particular, natural frequencies, modal damping parameters, modal mass, and modal mode shapes can be determined. To determine these modal parameters, the structure under investigation is excited with a suitable excitation source (impulse hammer, shaker, ...). At the same time, the structural responses are recorded with accelerometers or laser vibrometers. From the recorded time data, frequency responses between excitation and responses are calculated and subsequently modal parameters are derived. Many different methods exist for this purpose, which are basically divided into Single Degree of Freedom (SDOF) and Multi Degree of Freedom (MDOF) methods. The aim of the present work is to elaborate, implement and compare the results of different experimental modal analysis methods with respect to their applicability for large machine tools.
- Literature study and familiarization with the task
- Selection of suitable modal analysis methods (SDOF and MDOF)
- Implementation of the methods in Matlab or Python
- Acquisition of measurement data on a real machine
- Performing the experimental modal analysis and evaluating the different methods
- Documentation of the results
- Your profile:
- Ongoing studies at a UAS/university
- Motivation & reliability
- Assumption of printing costs in case of very good or good success
- Support from a supervisor from the relevant specialist department
- Get to know Fill as a potential employer and contribute your own ideas and knowledge
- Great opportunity to supplement your theoretical knowledge with practical experience
- Very good working atmosphere in a multi-award-winning family company
Period: from autumn 2023
We look forward to receiving your application!
Application as Master thesis: Experimental modal analysis of machine tools.
Please fill in all fields, the mandatory fields are marked with *!